Sunday, April 01, 2018

Yam's Road to Pupillage

Bismillahirrahmanirrahim.

Assalamualaikum wbt.

It's April already, which means that I have finished my law school two months ago. I precisely finished my last paper for my final examination at the end of January, then February and March have been months that gave me so many life lessons, which some of them I already learnt during my previous years. Somehow a revision, I can say.

The ending of the law school for a law student like me means to take another step in life - chambering/pupillage. A phase which is very crucial to every law student who wishes to practice afterwards in the legal world.

Somehow, it has been a competition, to those who take that as a race. Who got the firm quickly right after finishing the law school. Who got the firm which actively does every branch of law, such as conveyancing, litigation, corporate etc, or who got the firm which does the branch of law that they want to. Who got the firm which pays more. Who is happier at the firm.Who gets best master in the world who will supervise the 9 months perios of pupillage. Who is better at this, who is better at that etc.

Some will choose to take some time off to cool down after the battle with the subjects during the final examination. As for me, my original plan was to commence my pupillage as soon as possible, which was to be at February. I wished to be called to the bar within this year, so I can struck one thing off of my wish list.

However it did not happen that way. Despite had been sending my resume to the potential firms that I've been eyeing for some time, I still did not get any reply from any of the firm - be it any email, or phone call, whatmore an invitation to interview. That lasted until February. After coming back from Jakarta, which was a family trip that I am so thankful for - I tried harder and harder just to ensure that at least I will get calls for interviews.

And then, the first call came in from a firm which was located nearby my shared house. I was so happy, and at the same time, was so nervous that I could not sleep, talk nor eat properly before the IV. I prepared a lot by reading newspaper, to ensure that I kept myself updated with the current issues.

It was a normal experience. They said to call me the next day if I got the offer. I anticipated it somehow, and the next day felt so long for me to finish, but no call was received. And that became my first failure in interview.

The first that later followed by the second, third and later on. To note, as of March, I have been sending my resume to 30 firms, which only 8 of them called me up for interview. Failed 6 of them, 1 of them wished to have 'cheap labor' by paying me only some amount of money for my duit minyak despite of being a successful law firm in a big city, and another one, which is the one that I accepted the offer after quite some time of consideration, willing to facilitate me with almost everything that I might be needed to have a condusive environment of pupillage at her law firm.

I wish to say that there is no determined format for an interview. The basic would be - to prepare mentally and physically for the interview, come early, dress properly etc. BUT there will be differences - in the sense that some of the interviewer might be asking you mind-challenging questions, but some will not. Some will be interested to know about you, but some will be only interested in telling you about they themselves and the firm. Some will be very serious and some will be very lay back. Some will be very happy to chit chat with you, going with the flow of conversation, but some will be very prepared with interview questions that they will stick to the questions no matter what. Some will require you to fill in forms and answer questions/test, but some will not even print out the resume and cover letter that you sent them. Some will interview you individually, but some may want to have their partners to interview you.

See.

Too many patterns and various style of interview.

So, what you have to do?

Just go to the interviews, answer questions, and meet the firm/master that you think suit yourself the most. And here is one expensive tips ; just be yourself. Don't ever think to change your virtue just to satisfy people who have potential to be your employer in the future. You will suffer along the period of employment, losing your self-faith and pride of yourself.

Don't be like that.

Even me, I have been told so many times, in one of the interview, that I am too honest, that they  cannot bear to offer me the pupillage because of my honesty. Too many times in such a short moment of interview, at the point that it crossed my mind that I am a criminal for being too honest. They, who disvalued my honesty, even rejected me in front of my eyes and ears. But because of my honesty as well, that I kept afterwards, even after the interview, has become a point for me to get accepted at the firm which offered me the pupillage. She told me to be frank with her, and I did, so she said she was very happy with me. Me? Much more. Because I know it is not only me that she wants, but my honesty that I have with me. That's it.

My friends and I have been in talks about spiritual so many times, especially the time when we supported and comforted each other, every time we didn't get the offer from the firm that we wished to.

One of the wisdom words I will always remember is that - we asked the best from Him. To place us at the best place with the best master, to bless us with the best firm which has the best environment that will be the best for we ourselves, our religion etc.

But honey, being the best will not necessarily mean that everything will go smoothly after you got the offer. It may be difficult, it is not impossible to be hard and difficult, HOWEVER, that is when you will learn. That is why you will learn things. That is how you will appreciate things and people. And that is how you are going to be thankful to Him.

I am nervous, to be honest, to begin my pupillage this upcoming Wednesday. I asked around, and my dear friends will say it is normal. I hope so, because even today is only Sunday, my heart is beating like crazy that I do not know how to control it.

These February and March have given so many new experiences and feelings to me. That I have never felt before. Being rejected, being dejected, being sad with everybody, being upset with you yourself, not being able to feel anything anymore that you do not care about a thing at all anymore, even feeling humiliated, and so many more unexplanable feelings and tastes of life. Nonetheless, I believe I learnt a lot too. Things that were difficult for me to handle, have become things that I have seen the wisdom behind it. Things that I am very worried about, have become solved matters, yet I still have things that I will be worried about.

I guess it is one of the chapters in my life. Alhamdulillah only a two-months worth chapter. I am glad that regardless of getting the offer late, it is only as late as two months. I do not know how well I will cope if it becomes more than that. I afraid that I will lose faith, probably not with Him, but with me myself, that I hope I will never will. Passed that two months, I now can clearly see the wisdom behind the things that had happened for the past months. Alhamdulillah, I cannot stop being grateful to Him that I still can deliciously taste His love despite what has happened.

I humbly seek prayers and kind du'as from you guys who might be reading this blog, at this point, at this time. I am a person with so many doubts, fears, thoughts and worries, which some of them might be unnecessary, which will tire me out everyday. I am not a risk taker, I afraid of the result that may not be in my favor, which is the reason why it is very hard for me to make any decision.

But somehow I believe I can channel myself some good thoughts, despite what happened. I am a someone who probably still can think positively no matter how bad the things are. A person who will say that in the event that I lost some money, it is actually how ALLAH SWT wishes to purify my property. A person who will say that in the event that a parking lot that I've been waiting for is snatched by other people who has just arrived, I am going to get a better parking lot in a while, or that person might need the parking lot more urgent than me. A person like that, I am.

You know how difficult to be one like that, kan? HAHA. So kindly please please please pray for me that everything will go nicely between my master and I for these 9 months of pupillage. So that my brother's family whom I will be living with will be happy to have me around, that I will not be of any burden to them. So that I will be a stronger person whenever things go harder. So that I can be a more grateful person. So that my master can accept my mistakes and tolerate them nicely. So that I will not be doing something that will affect my life terribly.

Semoga.


Thank you so much for reading, and may this be a good read for me in the future.


And lastly, humbly please pray for me, as well as these fellow friends-in-law of mine, to be good lawyers (or legal practitioner), fiddunya wal akhirah.
Aamiin.

[ Photo taken during Afham and Mira's longcall at KL High Court, 12th March 2018 ]


Semoga berbalik doa yang baik-baik kepada anda juga.
Thanks in advance!


Wassalam :)

0 love letta(s):