Hey there :)
Why is this a sinful entry? Because I am writing it at the office, in the middle of my office hour, when I am supposed to do my work in order for me to get blessed rezeki.
:'D
More precise, I am in the middle of preparing a submission. More precise than that - I am doing a research on cases that I can use as the authority in my submission.
But you see - it is not easy. I have to try hundreds of keyword, read hundreds of cases for me to find at least one that is most suited with my point in the submission. How to use it properly to support, not merely as a shield to defense. Nasib baik, I can find one or two. Nasib tak baik - I have to opt for something else - which might be persuasive je, not authoritative. Which I can only invite or persuade the court to believe in what I am saying, not to convince the court.
And now people are questioning why the legal fees are so expensive. There was once or twice kot, seasonal weeks where we had to go home late. Stuck in the office, doing submission, and amending it few times just to make it soooo perfect that the judge will be attracted to keep reading, evaluating and treasuring it - ALL for the sake of the clients. Masa tu client maybe tengah tidur? Atau makan? When all we (I) did was a short nap after maghrib, sementara tunggu isyak and to work in the submission again until midnight. Phew.
I became to appreciate each and every word in the submission after I tried making one. Seriously, it was not only time consuming, but energy and motivation consuming. You got to be ready to spend your whole day at your desk, before the computer, clicking here and there, typing here and there, reading here and there to create a quality outcome. And when it is finished, and you thought it to be your masterpiece - no, your boss didnt approve it. You gotta spend some more time on some more research to amend the cause papers accordingly. Then only you may take necessary steps afterwards.
You might have to go and meet Commissioner for Oath first to get the paper affirmed, such as afidavits - of course with your client. You also need to get the affirmation for each exhibit you are enclosing as your supporting documents - which each will cost you more. Your time, your transportation shall be calculated too.
Then you come back to office to file it. If no problem with the website, then u are good to go. But that device always have something to do with me - so I always engage into problems with it - like it cannot upload any document, or it cannot sign, etc. Eurgh. Have no idea what I am saying here? If you are no legal eaglet, nahh it's okay. You dont want to understand this complexity.
Thennnn once u are done with the filing - it's time to serve to your opponent. We may try the softcopy first - the email and maybe fax as well - to expedite the service. BUT in most times, instant hardcopy service is compulsory so especially when it's almost due, you yourself have to go and serve the hardcopy to the opponent without having the luxury to wait for your despatch to go instead. Why? Because it is a battle against time, losing which, losing the next battle as well.
Anddd bear in your mind - lawyers do the photocopying and binding as well. We might have staffs, but we might not have, or the staffs may not be available at the moment. Hence, the episode of picking a fight with the photocopy machine as well as declaring war with the binding machine then begins. You have no idea how complex the fights are - but I do not really like this part - especially if the cause papers are so thick. Be it as it may - I still have to complete it anyway.
Phew.
Sent all documents - to opponent, and sometimes to court as well. What's next? Wait for the next date, maybe for decision, maybe for clarification or any other necessary case management, or whatever it is as the court directs. And when the date comes - attend the court matters, then only deliver the outcome to the client.
And that is the only time the client knows that we are working on his file.
My boss always tells us this - being in this field means we take our client's problem as ours. We get less sleep instead of them. We have less time to spend instead of them. We have more worries instead of them. We do more things instead of them.
Why?
They pay us to do so.
So please ladies and gentlemen - be generous with the legal fee. It is not that I am asking you to pay more, or telling you not to ask for discount - though legally and ethically speaking, you are not allowed to ask and we lawyers are not allowed to give any discount - but please treasure and appreciate our works. We do not simply take your case and bring it to the court. We do so much with the documentation, research, methodology, strategy, meetings, discussions etc in order to ensure you get what you deserve. You get to claim your right that you think you are so entitled of. Please do not degrade the works that we've been doing for you - for we have adopted your problem to be ours. For what you have to pay is not only our action - but our service comprises of our time with family, our energy that can actually be spent on something else, as well as our mental health that we can preserve shall we are not being indulged in other people's troubles.
We are doing things to make ends meet too, like other people do. We are working. We are using our experience, knowledge and some of us, expertise. If you do not question one doctor's price who you know is so expertise in his field, why would you question a legal fee of an experience lawyer? Like my boss la. Not me. Sebab I hanyalah rookie lawyer yang baru nak bertatih agituu.
But with all due respect - never once I mean that justice is only for people with money. No, because no money can buy law neither justice. That is totally another branch of discussion, which has no relation to what I am ranting here at the moment. Please do not get me wrong, unless you really intend to, purposely.
Fuhh.
Let's end the sinful entry here which has already been almost a pillow talk session haha. Got to replace/substitute this very moment I am taking away from my office hour. Semoga diganti masa dengan kerja yg lebih berkualiti, agar rezeki lebih diberkati gitu. No more stuck in anything - I shall get back to focus to my submission and authority :)
Wallahu'alam, wassalam.
Why is this a sinful entry? Because I am writing it at the office, in the middle of my office hour, when I am supposed to do my work in order for me to get blessed rezeki.
:'D
More precise, I am in the middle of preparing a submission. More precise than that - I am doing a research on cases that I can use as the authority in my submission.
But you see - it is not easy. I have to try hundreds of keyword, read hundreds of cases for me to find at least one that is most suited with my point in the submission. How to use it properly to support, not merely as a shield to defense. Nasib baik, I can find one or two. Nasib tak baik - I have to opt for something else - which might be persuasive je, not authoritative. Which I can only invite or persuade the court to believe in what I am saying, not to convince the court.
And now people are questioning why the legal fees are so expensive. There was once or twice kot, seasonal weeks where we had to go home late. Stuck in the office, doing submission, and amending it few times just to make it soooo perfect that the judge will be attracted to keep reading, evaluating and treasuring it - ALL for the sake of the clients. Masa tu client maybe tengah tidur? Atau makan? When all we (I) did was a short nap after maghrib, sementara tunggu isyak and to work in the submission again until midnight. Phew.
I became to appreciate each and every word in the submission after I tried making one. Seriously, it was not only time consuming, but energy and motivation consuming. You got to be ready to spend your whole day at your desk, before the computer, clicking here and there, typing here and there, reading here and there to create a quality outcome. And when it is finished, and you thought it to be your masterpiece - no, your boss didnt approve it. You gotta spend some more time on some more research to amend the cause papers accordingly. Then only you may take necessary steps afterwards.
You might have to go and meet Commissioner for Oath first to get the paper affirmed, such as afidavits - of course with your client. You also need to get the affirmation for each exhibit you are enclosing as your supporting documents - which each will cost you more. Your time, your transportation shall be calculated too.
Then you come back to office to file it. If no problem with the website, then u are good to go. But that device always have something to do with me - so I always engage into problems with it - like it cannot upload any document, or it cannot sign, etc. Eurgh. Have no idea what I am saying here? If you are no legal eaglet, nahh it's okay. You dont want to understand this complexity.
Thennnn once u are done with the filing - it's time to serve to your opponent. We may try the softcopy first - the email and maybe fax as well - to expedite the service. BUT in most times, instant hardcopy service is compulsory so especially when it's almost due, you yourself have to go and serve the hardcopy to the opponent without having the luxury to wait for your despatch to go instead. Why? Because it is a battle against time, losing which, losing the next battle as well.
Anddd bear in your mind - lawyers do the photocopying and binding as well. We might have staffs, but we might not have, or the staffs may not be available at the moment. Hence, the episode of picking a fight with the photocopy machine as well as declaring war with the binding machine then begins. You have no idea how complex the fights are - but I do not really like this part - especially if the cause papers are so thick. Be it as it may - I still have to complete it anyway.
Phew.
Sent all documents - to opponent, and sometimes to court as well. What's next? Wait for the next date, maybe for decision, maybe for clarification or any other necessary case management, or whatever it is as the court directs. And when the date comes - attend the court matters, then only deliver the outcome to the client.
And that is the only time the client knows that we are working on his file.
My boss always tells us this - being in this field means we take our client's problem as ours. We get less sleep instead of them. We have less time to spend instead of them. We have more worries instead of them. We do more things instead of them.
Why?
They pay us to do so.
So please ladies and gentlemen - be generous with the legal fee. It is not that I am asking you to pay more, or telling you not to ask for discount - though legally and ethically speaking, you are not allowed to ask and we lawyers are not allowed to give any discount - but please treasure and appreciate our works. We do not simply take your case and bring it to the court. We do so much with the documentation, research, methodology, strategy, meetings, discussions etc in order to ensure you get what you deserve. You get to claim your right that you think you are so entitled of. Please do not degrade the works that we've been doing for you - for we have adopted your problem to be ours. For what you have to pay is not only our action - but our service comprises of our time with family, our energy that can actually be spent on something else, as well as our mental health that we can preserve shall we are not being indulged in other people's troubles.
We are doing things to make ends meet too, like other people do. We are working. We are using our experience, knowledge and some of us, expertise. If you do not question one doctor's price who you know is so expertise in his field, why would you question a legal fee of an experience lawyer? Like my boss la. Not me. Sebab I hanyalah rookie lawyer yang baru nak bertatih agituu.
But with all due respect - never once I mean that justice is only for people with money. No, because no money can buy law neither justice. That is totally another branch of discussion, which has no relation to what I am ranting here at the moment. Please do not get me wrong, unless you really intend to, purposely.
Fuhh.
Let's end the sinful entry here which has already been almost a pillow talk session haha. Got to replace/substitute this very moment I am taking away from my office hour. Semoga diganti masa dengan kerja yg lebih berkualiti, agar rezeki lebih diberkati gitu. No more stuck in anything - I shall get back to focus to my submission and authority :)
Wallahu'alam, wassalam.

0 love letta(s):
Post a Comment